Thursday, March 30, 2006

Best friends with an ass ...

I have been wondering what to write for a couple of days. I started once, then deleted what I had written. The general subject matter was that my husband is an ass. My husband Eric and I really are best friends. The past couple of days though, we've come up against an issue that hasn't been resolved ... and may never resolve.

I am probably the least confrontational person on the planet. I don't think I'm exaggerating there -- ask Eric. Eric, on the other hand, doesn't mind conflict and confrontation and sometimes thrives on it. Sometimes I wonder if he goes looking for it! The other day we came head to head on an issue and I immediately backed down -- much to Eric's frustration, I'm sure.

I am personally responsible for my own issues. Never mind that Eric is an ass (he knows it too), but I have to own up to what my sin is and deal with that, and not just expect Eric to change who he is. Thankfully I was able to identify where I sinned against him and have asked him for forgiveness, which he graciously granted. Perhaps that's part of why we remain best friends. Even though he can be an ass, I wouldn't want to be best friends with anyone else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am an ass.

I know that I sin - sometimes I just get tired of trying to make every blunder (read sin) ok with whoever I blundered against.

I am so thankful that Lisa still loves me. Don't know how it works when I am sometimes a real pain in the ass.