Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Motherhood ...

So I was on the bus coming home from work today and couldn't help but overhear two young women talking - I'm not that nosy ... they were speaking that loudly. If I had to guess at their ages, they looked to be in their early 20's. I gathered from their conversation that the one already had at least 2 kids. What caught my attention was when this young mother told her friend "When my baby was little I could hardly wait until she said "Mommy". Now when she says it, it's like nails on a chalkboard."

Wow. How sad that this young woman's experience of motherhood is such that the sound of her child calling her grates on her nerves like that. I can only hope she was exaggerating.

I love being a mom. It's not always easy and sure, sometimes I'd love to have a break from the realities of life as a mother. But I enjoy my boys.

I love standing in the kitchen with one or more of them and yakking about their day, or about the soccer or volleyball practice they came from, or about what piece they're working on in jazz band;
I love to sit at the supper table and just watch the boys interact with each other and see where the conversation takes us;
I love that when I bring home a new t-shirt for BJ (that he actually likes), he tells me that I'm his favorite mom;
I love that every once in awhile Zackery still needs to snuggle and give/get a "grizzly hug";
I love that when I text Corey during the day and tell him that I love him, I can count on him to text me back and tell me he loves me too;
I love that Nathan and I share a favourite TV show (NCIS) and we both can hardly wait for Tuesday nights to watch it together.

I'm so thankful for my boys and for the young men they are becoming ... despite my many mothering mistakes. How wonderful it is to love and to be loved in this way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great Mom.
I love watching you interact with them. The way you eyes dance when the act in a pleasing manner.
I love watching you watch them in whatever they are doing; sports, band; homework; etc.
You are a very big part of the men they are becoming.
I love parenting with you.